Friday, October 10, 2008

Advertorial - Or Not Identifying Provided Video

This is probably mostly a question best directed to Jerry, but I wanted to see if anyone else has an opinion on this. Seriously, please let me know what you think.

Last night I was watching the WCCO 10pm news. At the end they showed a clip from the Tina Turner concert at the Target Center. I'm 99% sure that the clip was provide by the promoter/Tina's management or something and wasn't something shot by a 'CCO shooter. It had cutaways, a camera on a track or crane, etc. (I don't really know the moving picture jargon, sorry!) It was obviously not shot by a single camera on a tripod shooting from the sound desk, is my point.

So, my question is: Shouldn't they disclose that the footage was provided by Turner/her management/record label or whomever? If they don't isn't it advertorial or something? It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me wonder what other footage they use that isn't really theirs, y'know.

Yes, this is a just concert, it really isn't all that important. But isn't that type of thinking the first step on a slippery slope? Just my opinion of course. What does everyone else think?

1 comment:

Aaron Fahrmann said...

I am currently tracking advertising on the NBC Nightly news, and hope to come to a conclusion at some point. I have discovered a few suspect moments at the present, but nothing hard yet. The one thing I have noticed that follows your comments is the use of the equivalent of house ads inside the framework of the news. This is a tricky area of course since they are trading news time for increased viewership on another night of their newscast (the JFK tapes for which NBC has the exclusive is a prime example of this, however I have seen other examples). More about this when I present my research on the 29th.