Saturday, October 25, 2008

Facebook

I think that Facebook is a relevant Web site for many people that provides unique ways for people to participate in politics.

On Facebook you can indicate your support for a candidate and have that information posted on your profile page. It will also notify your Facebook "friends" of this support and offer the opportunity to join in.

For example, you can join a group supporting Barack Obama called 'That one 2008' or buy a McCain button on the site as well. As a marketing too, it's great.

In addition, Facebook can allow for dialog on the issues and spread information. I think that it can be a much more effective means of communication for the 20something generation than many traditional news sources.

Because my Facebook site is password protected - only visible my my approved network of Facebook friends, I can't link to the specific examples. Here is the 'About' Facebook link.

3 comments:

Aaron Fahrmann said...

In an era of marketing overload and identity theft, I have long resisted joining facebook or any of the other social networking sites. I try to keep my name off of mailing lists as much as possible and keep personal information close to the cuff. While I use tech for communication via email, I am still reluctant to actively share my politics in any permanent fashion online where information could be compromised or used for untoward efforts, say if one wanted to run for political office, start a business with bank financing, or get a six figure job. I could possibly see it as a means to aid a job search or promote a company, but I don't think I would personally post any political or personal information beyond the absolute basics. Is this isolationistic in the current tech-rich landscape? I suppose, but for now it feels right.

Patrick said...

definitely, the facebook/ myspace scene is an excellent way for the candidates/ issues to be disseminated to the users. Obama has paid close attention to this. it shows in his full utilization of the web to gain support and raise funds. being Obamas friend on facebook is a great way to show support and talk to like minded people. As well as engage in discussion with the opposite crowd. perhaps if there were also a facebook type site that was geared toward other types of people, and not just the 20+ demographic, there would be more dialog.

a said...

Add that fb application to my iphone and I can almost keep up with what my 20 something friends are doing, every minute of what they are doing in fact.