Tuesday, October 7, 2008

No Gwen, it is your job

On Meet the Press on Sunday journalist Gwen Ifill told Tom Brokaw that it wasn't her job as the moderator at the Biden-Palin debate to ask the candidates to answer her questions. She said it was the candidates, not she, that should have called each other on not answering the questions. I thought that as a journalist it was her duty as a member of the fourth estate to look out for my interests and force the issue. I'll be interested to hear what Don Shelby thinks.

Also, as I continue to conduct my research on how KARE, KSTP and WCCO cover election news in the first block of their 10 p.m. newscasts it's clear that WCCO leads the way on self-promotion. In other words, "for more on this story, go to our web site and click on... " As a matter of fact, one night recently in the first eight minutes of their newscast, five times they referred us to their web site. What am I not hearing about when I'm continually being referred to the WCCO web site. Tell me once during the newscast, I get it. I'll be interested to hear how Don Shelby defends that practice.

No comments: