Monday, November 3, 2008

Election coverage and participatory journalism via Twitter, text and iPhone

I hope this does not step on Heathers toes….


National Public Radio (NPR) has put out a call to all voters to notify them, via Twitter, text message, or a free iPhone app, of any voting irregularities. Here is a link to the story: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96432101

NPR has essentially deputized anyone with mobile internet access or a cell phone as a reporter. NPR has said they do not have the manpower to cover all the polling stations, and would like the publics help. This goes beyond the standard tipline, as NPR intends to use the data collected as part of its coverage. Also it provide a much wider audience than would normally be available to most twitterers (tweeters?). Beyond that, a story from NPR will carries more weight than several disconnected stories on twitter or on blogs.

This an example of an established news organization trying to muster citizen journalist to a specific story, and could prove to be a good model for information gathering. One problem that I see is the issue of control (editorial, ownership , etc…)..

1 comment:

Heather said...

I like your point about an established news medium admitting that they can't do it all and that they need help from others. In my opinion, this is how citizen journalism should be. I do need to be reporting a story, but if I have a problem voting, I should disseminate the news anyway I can. Tweet, email, text. I agree that NPR is also a good source to be collecting the data. I don't actually know anyone who frequently watches Current TV and while I commend them for creating the the vote report site, it is probably going to skew to the younger population where NPR will be more widely listened to (or so I think).