Friday, November 14, 2008

The Future of Photography

My question for the final course project will be how stock photo agencies are a tool of journalists to publish photography stories and get coverage out to the highest bidder.

My questions at present are: How are stock images used by news sources at present? Is there a role that micro-stock can or does play in this environment? What is the future of the stock industry as a source of news footage in general? What could stock agencies do to the staff photographer?

At the moment, I have a few sources in mind. One is the recent edition of Photo District News in which they discuss stock photography, another will be some of stock agencies involved in the stories. I will also use a tool that I used in my mid-term blog project: a question and answer model in which I use the blog to post questions to which photographers and videographers from any discipline can post answers. The blog is called Photography Futures. This is a work in progress at present. While the breadth of the blog will be wider than the information I use for the class, it is a planned source within my bibliography assuming I get some relevant postings to my photojournalism questions.

No comments: