Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Choose your own News

This doesn't have anything to do with my paper for this class, but rather to the question of what is happening to news?

This news station in Little Rock, AR is allowing people to vote on the news stories they want covered.

http://cfc.katv.com/external.cfm?p=chooseyournews&h=2000

As of 4:30 on Tuesday, this is where the polls are. Interesting the topics to choose from.

C-Span campaign 2008 bus in Little Rock (56%)
Nashville Murder for hire trial (29%)
What illnesses are going around (15%)

Any thoughts on this? I like the way they are merging 'new media' with journalism, but something about letting viewers choose what the news reports on seems like a bad idea to me.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Heather -

I don't know if you are looking for something like this on a national scale, but I remember CBS Nightly News tried something like this with it's Steve Hartman segments. I don't know if they are still doing the "American Idol" type voting for what he covers, but it may be worth checking into.