Wednesday, December 10, 2008

News Prediction- A Grim Story

The video Epic 2015 showed some predictions of media being bought out and owned by one company. They predicted Amazon would be taking over a lot of things, however, while I think that large news companies will be bought out consolidated, I do not think one company will own everything. I think it will be a few large companies that own a lot of outlets. Looking at how TV companies are modeled now, FOX has a little of everything. I think the larger companies will go around buying the remaining news outlets that will work and the remaining ones will die off. For instance, the pioneer press will either combine with the Star Tribune or die off completely. The NY Times will still be around (mostly in an online format) but they will be bought by a larger company to stay around. Ultimately I envision news monopolies to form across the country. With the lack of competition, there will be a lack of worthwhile news- fluff stories and filler pieces will be all that is left. This will cause those that want to be informed to go out and search for what they can on their own. Ultimately this will cause a cultural divide between the informed and the uninformed.

As much as I do not want to see it happen, I also predict advertising will begin to play a larger role in the news. Struggling news media will succumb to advertisers in a last ditch effort to remain profitable. As we would all expect, this will taint the authority of the news and people will go in search of other options.

I think that national TV news will stay around, the 24 news networks may merge together. Perhaps all NBC properties (MSNBC, CNBC, etc) will unite under one heading instead of having multiple outlets. I think print newspapers as we know them will one day seize to exist. They will only be around in an online form, but we will have to pay for them. I give them 10 years before this happens. I am still unsure as to what will happen to the journalists in general. I think they will ban together (similar to what is starting to happen in Minneapolis) to give integrity to the news. I think professional journalists will help vet the citizen journalists informing others who they trust and are providing accurate information. Through this process, professional journalists will help train and citizen journalists as it will be up to us to keep each other informed.

No comments: