Monday, December 8, 2008

Predictions for the Future of News

Ten years ago, I was a new Internet user and relied heavily on TV and print newspapers as my primary sources of news. While television as a source of news is still a subtle presence in my life, today the Internet has completely usurped the role of print newspapers. I cancelled my subscription to the Star Tribune’s print edition long ago and I can’t recall the last time I picked-up an actual newspaper. If I’m their target market, it’s easy to see why the industry is struggling.

After living such a dramatic decade of change in the way in which I get news, I believe I am more keenly aware of the signs to where I see technology going in the future.

Looking 10 years ahead, I see the Internet expanding beyond computers and moving more to meld with television, mobile devices, and other household applications. Machines, such as refrigerators and cars, are already incorporating qualities seen in personal computers, such as the capability for Internet and video. I expect this trend to expand into other household and service-focused uses.

I don’t believe newspapers will disappear, but instead become more specialized. I think newspapers will be used more for leisure and education, versus a time-critical news source. I think that economics will largely drive this change and the future of news will also be determined by the financial feasibility of the business model.

I have no idea how we will pay for news in the future. Maybe one day the cost will be built into our taxes or maybe people will buy news like cars – the more money you have, the better quality car/news you can afford. This will undoubtedly result in a greater knowledge gap between classes and impact the way in which our democracy functions – further segmenting the haves and have nots.

Beyond the general public, I am scared for the role non-professionals are beginning to play in the production and distribution of news – undercutting the work of those who have invested time and money in learning the trade. I think the presence of non-professionals, while it can provide healthy competition to a degree, makes it even harder for professionals to survive in this changing medium. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

This course has provided stimulating discussions into the future of news. I would love the opportunity to take this class in 10 years, to see if our predictions come to fruition and how news has changed. Only time will tell.

No comments: